A medical degree is a type of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree listed in one giant degree, 5 or 6 years or more. But who can blame the universities and medical colleges? After all, they try to teach you how to save and improve human lives, so there will be a lot of knowledge to break into the brains of enthusiastic doctors in the future.
Where to Apply for MBBS Degree in Abroad?
The world is your oyster. Here are some countries where you can get an excellent MBBS degree to apply to MBBS in –
- New Zealand
Which Medical Degree to Apply for MBBS and MD –
The most common types of medical degrees offered at international universities are the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) and Doctor of Medicine (MD). The medical universities of UK and other countries with similar educational systems usually offer MBBS degree as medical studies, while MD is generally awarded in the United States and countries with similar types of education.
You might think that an MD degree is the next step from MBBS because you must have a Bachelor’s degree to apply for MD. Well, not really. The MBBS degree is approximately 6 years, while you must study for 4 years to obtain a master’s degree. The difference is that the MD requires you to obtain a Bachelor’s degree, which takes 4 years to complete in the United State. So why do you have to study so many years to get MBBS? Well, that also includes a mandatory 1 year training period to rest in the doctor’s role.
But wait, there’s more! MBBS can get other names, like BMed (Bachelor of Medicine) or MBChB, but all of these grades are very similar and are only called differently depending on the country in which they are presented. Also, MBBS certificates differ from another undergraduate degree because they are professional qualifications that expect graduates to enter a certain profession after completion. This is why they are called first professional degrees and not a bachelor’s degree.
Long Story Short – You cannot study MBBS medical degree in the USA. But if you already have one from another country, you can usually convert it to MD in the USA. What you have to do is pass the American medical school exit examination first.
Application Requirements for an MBBS Degree –
Well, it is now clear what you have to apply for to obtain your medical degree, let’s see what you have to do to enter. The requirements for applying for MBBS depend on the country and the university where you want to apply. The following requirements are estimates. So, to get an accurate picture, you must review the information on the university page. Here are some general requirements for MBBS.
- The high school diploma with at least 2 science subjects – Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, etc. Most of the time chemistry seems a must.
- Or, if you have already graduated with a Bachelor’s degree – Honors in Science can be in a 2:1 or higher, or equivalent, a good advantage.
- Good English language level, IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score usually 6.5 to 7.0 or equivalent TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or C1 advanced language certificates.
- GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or higher or equivalent.
- Evidence of continuing academic achievement – you will need a copy of academic transcripts for this.
- Depending on the country, you may also need a locally recognized specialist medical examination such as the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test) or BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Test), in the UK. The United States equivalent is the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) examination.
- Volunteering experience in the healthcare field is also an added advantage.
- Sometimes you may need to take the foundation program to balance or meet the MBBS requirements.
- The university is also interested in knowing if you have the transferable skills needed to be a doctor in the future.
Documentation that You May Need to Provide to the MBBS Application –
- Personal identification documents.
- Personal statement or motivation letter.
- Copies of your diploma, English translation, depending on the situation.
- Transcript of records.
- Recommendation letters from previous employers to teachers.
- Another testament to volunteering or work related to health care.
- Proof of paid application tax.
If you are from outside the European Union, you may also have to show documents proving that you can cover living expenses in the country you want to study MBBS Abroad. Keep in mind every medical university or college may require additional documents, according to their application procedures.