The leaves are changing colour, the weather is getting cooler, and we are more than excited to say hello to fall. From apple picking and pumping carving to wreath-making workshops, there is a range of fun activities to celebrate this wonderful season. In this post, we have rounded up some of the most exciting autumn-inspired outdoor party ideas for children and adults alike. Whether you are planning to host a classic fall brunch party, an outdoor movie get-together, or a backyard campfire soiree; there is something on the list for everyone.
Fun and Creative Outdoor Fall Party Ideas
Outdoor fall celebrations are all about colours, comfort, warmth, food, fun and conversations. Here are three backyard party ideas to create amazing fall memories.
Fall Wreath-Making Party
What better way to welcome fall than by organizing a DIY wreath party? It’s a fun way to invite friends to eat, play, interact and do something creative. Ask guests to bring over their wreath craft boxes, which should include the following:
- Wreath frame (typically 18 inch) – Wire and grapevine frames are available at most craft stores. Bring in some wreath photos for creative inspiration. Carry two or three extra frames in case your friends need them.
- A glue gun for affixing little embellishments
- A pair of scissors
- A wire cutter
- Decorative objects like satin ribbons, bells, beads, crystals, colourful buttons, feathers
- Dried bits and pieces from nature like acorns, pecans and pinecones
Handy Hosting Tips
- Set up the wreath-making area outdoors, typically under a patio umbrella to shelter it from the rain
- Lay rag paper on the grass so you can easily pick it up and shake it out after every wreath-making session
- Keep your patio clean and well-organized by keeping a garbage bag handy for unusable leftovers.
Caramel Apple Decorating Party
Whether you are hosting a backyard party or attending one, food décor games are always fun. They are simple, quick and oh so creative! Healthy, tasty and easy-to-make, caramelized apples are the perfect blank canvas for endless décor options. Guests can enjoy the treats right away or display them at their upcoming Halloween party table.
Here is how to set up a caramel apple dessert bar for your backyard fall party.
Things you will need:
- caramel sauce
- skewers or wooden craft sticks
- sheet pans
- parchment paper
- toppings of your choice (colourful candies, chocolate chips, crumbled cookies, dried fruit, chopped nuts, candied popcorn, sprinklers, melted white chocolate and coloured cereals)
Remove the stem and press a skewer/wooden craft stick through the top of the whole apple. Simply place the apples on a serving tray, set up a caramel dipping station along with assorted toppings and let your guests get creative.
Ask them to dip their apple in the caramel sauce and make their way along the table, coating and decorating as they go. Place a serving tray at the end of the bar for the participants to display their apples when done. Let the apples chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before serving/displaying. The one who wins the competition should get a special prize.
Backyard Movie Night
Get into the spirit of the season and enjoy a fall-themed movie night with your friends in the backyard. Set up a movie screen, invite your friends and stock up on chocolates, chips and popcorn. Lay a thick, comfortable mattress on the grass and complete the set-up with fluffy cushions, low patio tables and some string lights. The aim should be to ensure as much comfort and convenience as possible. And don’t forget to keep those pesky flies and mosquitoes at bay. Insects are not only irritating but also carriers of harmful diseases. So, make sure that you wear long sleeves, pants and closed shoes. You can also use insect repellent with eucalyptus, picaridin and lemon essential oil. Light candles with geraniol wax or citronella are also effective at preventing mosquito bites.
Like any other season, the advent of fall calls for fun, food, gatherings and celebrations. From festive décor and delicious dishes to fun outdoor activities, there are plenty of things to do this time of year. So, choose a party theme, whip up some mocktails and kickstart your autumn festivities.