If you have landed on this piece, we are sure that you are either thinking of getting dental implants or have already undergone the procedure. Whatever the reason is, you are here to find the post-operative instructions for dental implants. So, let’s get straight to it.
Below, we are going to list some of the things that you need to take care of after getting the dental implants procedure done.
The List of Dont’s Post Dental Implants Surgery
- i) Do not spit for the next 24 hours. You can use a tissue to wipe your mouth or simply swallow the saliva.
- ii) Avoid using straws for the next 24 hours.
iii) Do not smoke for the next 24 hours
- iv) Avoid touching your surgical area in the mouth with tongue or fingers for the next 24 hours.
There is a simple reason for all the points mentioned above. Spitting, smoking, and touching the surgical area can infect the area or dislodge the blood clot that is under formation and will cause bleeding. Coming to the no-smoking rule, smoking will cause infection.
Some common side effects of Dental Implants
There are some common side effects that can be seen after the dental implants procedure. In this section, we are going to list them one by one.
If you encounter some bleeding after dental implants, don’t worry. It is quite normal for one to experience a little bleeding for several hours after the surgery. It is advised that you keep gauze on the surgical area with some biting pressure for at least 30-40 minutes and if still bleeding does not stop after a few hours, you need to call your dentist immediately.
Another common side effect that one experiences post dental implants surgery is some swelling in the mouth. It can vary between mild to severe swelling on different patients. Usually, the swelling may increase for the first 24-48 hours before it starts to suppress. If this happens, don’t worry it is normal.
List of Do’s after dental implants surgery
Here are a few things that you need to do after getting dental implants surgery done.
- Stick on non-abrasive food like mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, soup, and scrambled eggs, etc. Also, include lots of fluid in your diet.
- Maintain oral hygiene. It is important that you start rinsing your mouth very gently after a day of surgery. Remember to use some warm salt water (8 ounces of warm water + 1 tsp of salt) to rinse your mouth. You can start brushing your teeth but, it is important that you be careful near the surgical site.
In the end, we would like to say that getting dental implants surgery done is the first step. You need to take extra care after the surgery to get the best result and avoid any kind of infection from building up. Most great dental clinics like Taylor View Dental will provide you a complete list of do’s and dont’s post-dental surgery. So, if you are planning to get the dental implant surgery done or have recently got it done, we hope this article helps you.