Like other appliances, your water heater can sometimes break down unexpectedly. Both electric and gas water heaters can experience problems that may require professional repair services from your local HVAC or plumbing service company. Homeowners can find themselves needing water heater repair service for ignition issues, insufficient hot water, water leakage, and other common and fixable water heater problems. While gas water heaters and electric water heaters share some of the same problems, they also have their own unique components and systems that can develop problems of their own.
Common Reasons for Gas Water Heater Repair
Many homeowners use natural gas in their homes, including for their water heaters. Gas water heaters are surprisingly economical and convenient, especially for homes that already have natural gas lines for stovetops, ovens, furnaces, and other appliances. Gas water heaters can occasionally need water heater repair service for any of several common issues, including:
- Water that won’t heat up at all. In many cases, a total lack of hot water can be traced to a faulty pilot light or electrical ignition system. If your pilot light won’t stay lit, or your water heater won’t start up at all, you may need to call a local water heater repair company to fix the problem. Ignition systems for water heaters can be quite short-lived, often burning out after two or three years of use. A water heater repair contractor can replace it for you.
- Lukewarm water, or not enough hot water. This is sometimes the result of a malfunctioning water heater thermostat, causing water to heat up to a temperature that’s too cool to be comfortable for bathing or effective for washing dishes and laundry.
- The main burner won’t stay lit. Problems with your gas water heater’s valves and thermocouples can shut down the entire system. Clogged vents can also impair your water heater’s ability to work correctly.
- Discolored water. Over time, anode rods inside your water heater can start to dissolve. This can lead to hot water that’s brownish or reddish in color, sometimes with a slight odor.
Common Reasons for Electric Water Heater Repair
Like gas water heaters, electric water heaters can sometimes need professional water heater repairs every few years. Some of the most common issues with home electric water heaters include:
- Leaking water pipes. If your electric water heater overheats, or the water pressure becomes too high, the pipes leading away from it can spring a leak. This generally happens because the temperature and pressure relief valve has failed, and needs to be replaced or repaired. Bad gaskets can also cause water leaks, as can tank corrosion from rust.
- Popping or cracking noises. This usually indicates that the water inside the tank is boiling, which isn’t supposed to happen. This occurs because sediment builds up at the bottom of the tank.
Gas and electric water heaters can run for years without any major problems, but occasionally, you’ll find yourself in need of professional water heater repair service. With proper maintenance and occasional repairs, your water heater should last for at least fifteen years of use.
If you’re looking for water heater repair service in Bergen County, Passaic County, Essex County, and nearby areas of NJ, give us a call any time at Masters Plumbers.
Leave a Reply