No matter whether you’re running a small store or a big business, you must be looking for ways to increase sales. Businesses always keep looking for new ideas to increase sales. Though there are many ways through which they can improve the sales, two elements that have always been viewed as an afterthought are the product packaging and labeling. Both these elements can have a phenomenal impact on sales of your product.
When a product gets manufactured, companies want to convey the importance of the product to its customers. One of the ways to communicate is the product labeling. Labeling is a part of product packaging design. It is a key representation of the product that differentiates a brand from its competitors. It provides the necessary information to customers such as ingredients, manufacturing and expiry date, maker, etc.
There are many symbols for package labeling that are standardized at both national and international level. Example, in consumer packaging, symbols like FCC is used for product certifications. In countries like the USA, it is mandatory for food and pharmaceutical companies to put specific labels. A well-designed label can help companies in building brand identity and conveying their brand message. Before getting a label designed, make sure a sticker designer should have the following details:
- Logo design of the company
- Product information
- Preference of a client regarding packaging type, shape, colors
- The copy(text)
- Branding guidelines
Designing a label can be a quite challenging job. A product with simple design and image may not help you meet your sales target. Here are 5 design label tips that can help you in increasing sales and gaining the attention in the crowd of supermarket shelves:
1) Research your Competitors: Whether you are designing a label for a new product launch or redesigning it for an existing one, it is imperative to do a proper research on what the latest trends your competitors are following, how they are putting essential information on label, what type of images, colors and symbols they are using. In retail shelves, your label is a critical tool for selling the product. Consumers will look into the shelves and choose the product that will be catchier and contain a clear description of the contents and its use. Make sure your label or sticker designer know your competitors. You should discuss the research report with him. This will help him in creating a unique and effective label for your product.
2) Determine your target audience: Designing for the target audience instead of for everyone, results in more effective design. This will not only help you in coming up with the relevant content but also helps the sticker designer to come up with a unique design idea that can convince the target audience in choosing your product. Before designing a label for your product find out the target audience—their age, gender, location, tastes, values, etc. For instance, you have a business of beauty products, and after determining the target audience, you get to know that your product will be more successful amongst the women between the age group 30-50 years. This will help you decide what type of content and design will help in increasing the sales of the product.
3) Choose the right material: Before starting the design process, it is better to choose the material for the label. Apart from what gets printed on the label, the look of the label also plays a vital role in forming perceptions. If a label gets destroyed easily in shipping, it can damage the product’s image. Choose the type of facestocks (high-gloss, matte, etc.) carefully as it also affects printing on the labels. If you’re confused which look to go with, better you seek opinions from the experts.
4) Choose the right typography and color: A label is incomplete without the typography that can fit with your brand image. Typography that is used on label communicates more than words. The font style, color, and size create an emotional connection with the consumers. While choosing a font style, make sure it is easily readable. Don’t settle down with the default fonts such as Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Try to be little creative with fonts without affecting the essence of the logo. When it comes to colors, gain some insights into the color psychology. The colors you choose will have a direct impact on your sales. Some label types restrict you to print colors. So, before finalizing the label design, discuss it with your designer.
5) Create Space with White Space: White space refers to an empty space between the design elements. In addition to typography and color, white space is a great way to emphasize the design elements and organize the content for better visual communication experience. To make the product more convincing, most companies believe in putting all the information in the product label. They think that following this mantra will help them make customers in choosing the right product. But this is wrong. In order to make more impact, they should have more white space in the product label. It not only gives labels a rich, stylish and classic look but also draws the attention of consumers to a particular element.
A well-designed label can help companies building trust and brand identity. No matter how useful your product is. If the product packaging and label design are not attractive, a customer will pass by it. Unique label design can help companies in making a mark in a crowd of competitors. It strongly influences the consumer’s purchase decision. A label with proper description and compelling content can make even the first time buyers purchase the product. Make sure to put the company’s name or logo on the label design so that customer can easily recognize the product on the shelf next time they visit the store.